Project management is a tricky and often demanding task. As an entrepreneur, particularly if you are just starting, managing projects will often be your sole responsibility. That means juggling with different aspects of the project from planning, conceptualizations, executions, logistics and more, alone.
If you are an entrepreneur in the 90s era, chances are, your best pal in managing projects is either your planner or an organizer notebook. This manual way of taking care of all necessary stuff to execute a project is pretty complicated at face value. Need I say more?
Luckily, today’s technology has provided us profound relief in project management duties. With the advent of software solutions, small business founders, startup owners and leapreneurs alike, can now grasp convenience, security, automation, cloud-computing and real-time data that these tools bring. From collaboration, capturing photos, organizing tasks, managing deadlines and even looking out for backlogs and automating you records, we have hand-picked these amazing project management tools that will surely take your entrepreneur life to 7th heaven.
1. ASANA – Asana is a web and mobile application designed to help businesses track their work across multiple staff, multiple locations and multiple teams. With Asana, you can create project, set tasks to accomplish that project, determine timelines and tag those tasks to different people. After putting the tasks, simply monitor accomplishments and make follow ups right in the system. Its a place to help you know whether you and your team are making progress towards certain projects or events without so much emails or paper works!
PRICE: Basic account is free. Premium features are priced around Php400 per user per month.
2. EVERNOTE – Imagine what it’s like to have a notebook that you can carry, open and write on everything you need it. Yep, with today’s technology it is now possible! Thanks to Evernote! Evernote is your own digital space, like an “external brain” where you can record, store & share notes, capture data, send file attachments and virtually collaborate with your employees or business partners real-time. Essentially, Evernote gives you a centralized depository for your ideas so they don’t clutter up your brain. You know they’ll be kept safe and accessible from any device, so you can save them to the app and go about your day, revisiting them at a time convenient to you.
PRICING: Basic plan is free. Plus Plan is P550/year with additional features like 1GB of new uploads monthly. Premium Plan is P1,100/year with all access to features.
3. BASECAMP – Every team needs a way to divvy up work, hash things out quickly, make big announcements, keep discussions on-topic, store and organize key files and assets, lay out milestones and deadlines, and have regular check-ins to make sure everything’s all right. That’s all a piece of cake with Basecamp! Just launched in November 2015, Basecamp 3 features an all-new interface, a fresh approach to managing projects, working with groups, making progress on anything together.
PRICING: Free Account is available. Premium starts at $29/month regardless of number of users.
4. TRELLO – Drop the lengthy email threads, out-of-date spreadsheets, no-longer-so-sticky notes, and clunky software for managing your projects. Trello is born! Trello is like your business-version of Pinterest, where you see digital cards in one board. These cards indicate your project’s status and next steps. Trello is simple on the surface, but cards have everything you need to get stuff done. Post comments for instant feedback. Upload files from your computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, and OneDrive. Add checklists, labels, due dates, and more. Notifications make sure you always know when important stuff happens. It’s a visual way to monitor everything about projects!
PRICING: Free account available. Small business is advised to avail business class package for only P380+/month/user.
5. SLACK – Dubbed as the “Team communication for the 21st century”, Slack is a fun and newest way to collaborate and interact with your teams. With Slack, you can create conversations based on department, project, topic or everything. Each conversation or group chat is called “Channel” and you may only join users via invitation. You can also drag and drop files in the channel right during the conversation so you won’t have to use your email. Everything you discuss and every files you sent to any channels you have access with are also searchable.
PRICE: Free & Premium Accounts available!
6. WHEN I WORK – Say goodbye to your spreadsheets and calendars mounted on walls when scheduling your employees. Check out When In Work. Most businesses spend an average of 8 hours per week or more on employee scheduling using programs like Excel, or even worse— a pencil and paper. Employee scheduling software can help you build your schedule for the week in as little as 15 minutes. When I Work is an employee scheduling app that does more than just save you time on scheduling. It also helps you improve communication, eliminate excuses, boost accountability among your staff, track time and attendance, and grow your business.
PRICE: Free 30-Day Trial available. 20 employees for $29/monthly. Prices vary depending on the number of users/employees.
7. ZENEFITS – Having trouble doing HR stuff? It’s time to learn about Zenefits. Reduce your HR paper work and manage records, transactions and data all in one place. ZENEFITS is a free online HR Software that gives your team a single place to manage all your human resource needs – payroll, benefits, compliance and more. Zenefits is committed to making entrepreneurship easier and more accessible for everyone. By using technology to unify HR processes, Zenefits help eliminate thousands of hours of paperwork, enabling small business people to focus less on tedious tasks and more on what matters most—running and growing their business.
PRICE: There are free features and premium features:
Time & Attendance: $5/mo. per hourly employee
FSA, HSA, Commuter: Small monthly fees per employee apply.
Zenefits Payroll: Free through Dec. 2016
While leadership and managerial approaches differ from every entrepreneur, the formula for an effective and successful project management is often simple – communication and connectivity. If you will notice, all these amazing tools have one thing in common, they all offer mobility. And that’s the beauty of technology, it allows entrepreneurs to collaborate with team members and manage business where ever they are. As a curious leapreneur, you don’t have to use all of these amazing project management tools at the same time because that would only add to the clutter. Instead, try to study their features and learn which of them would fit your management preference, team culture and budget. Almost all of them offer free trial or at least a free service. This is a great way to gauge if a tool is the one you have been looking for.
Are you familiar with any of these tools? How’s your experience?